Intro Text

"Camilla: Indeed it's time. We all have laid aside disguise but you.
Stranger: I wear no mask."
- Robert W. Chambers, The King in Yellow

Pages

Tuesday 17 January 2017

Journey to the Center of Ancient Thror

The cover for my upcoming Young Adult Science Fiction novel, Digging in the Stars has just been officially revealed! Blaze Publishing, Jennifer Malone Wright and I had a party on Facebook to celebrate. We will have another to mark the release at the end of March.


In preparation for the actual release and the upcoming party, I am starting a series of posts to introduce you to the  lost ancient extraterrestrial civilization that Carter and her friends discover on planet Thror in Digging in the Stars. As a stop motion animator, I needed to make the characters with my own hands in order to be able to write about them. Now I have a crowd of ancient Throrians living in my house! I will be using the characters I created to illustrate my posts.

Ancient Thror was divided into two main areas, the Nothingness of the Barren Surface, populated by tribes of so-called “Furry Giants” and the subterranean realm, which was occupied by a profoundly sophisticated amphibious civilization divided into nine social classes called “Strata.” All Stratinites wore complex, long-nosed masks that protected their sensitive breathing mechanisms when above water and represented their status and role. Long, colorful cerata streamed from their heads like hair, absorbing oxygen and nutrients from the air and water. The higher the Stratum, the more time its members could spend above water. I will be introducing you to all the different Strata, starting from the deepest levels and traveling up to the crust. Each post will be dedicated to a single Stratum starting from Stratum 9, the Extractors. These numbers and names were given to the Strata by the earliest Earthian explorers who first visited Thror in the 1920s.

Keep watching this blog. I will be releasing details on a new Stratum every Wednesday and Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment